Saturday, December 17, 2005

Comment Response re "Shame Killing"

To “Anonymous”, who commented on my “Shame Killing” blog:

First, thanks for commenting; the first comment I found; I was afraid there was no one out there finding or reading the blogs I wrote. Second, to get a mechanical question out of the way, I don’t know if it would have been your true preference to be “anonymous" or if this site doesn’t provide any reader with an easy way to provide their identity. I guess you could always choose to identify yourself with name and/or email address if you wanted to, but it should prompt you to do so, by default, and without requiring you to do so as part or your comment, within it. I should also be able to respond within the blog on which you commented and not have to publish a separate blog in response to a comment on another one. But, in this case, it can’t hurt to do so. I’m sure there is a way, but I don’t yet know it – instructions on a lot of these mechanics weren’t very clear – I’ve spent a lot of time and effort just to get this far.
Third, I guess its incumbent upon me to further think and clarify my thoughts on the apparent contradiction between saying, “I ‘respect’ the beliefs of those who differ from mine” and saying, “I ‘DISrespect’ people” whose beliefs I characterize as “backwards”. Upon further thought, I’d have to say that I respect their “right” to think individually and even to express their thoughts. And, I respect and value “diversity", in general. But, not all beliefs warrant equal merit; there are definitely beliefs, themselves, or conclusions, which I do disrespect and which I think are destructive and the result of ignorance and/or stupidity. Some examples of these are most forms of bigotry, espousal of violence, and those which attempt to justify pure sadism. There may be exceptions to some of these; for example, “espousal of violence” in necessary self-defense is something I might agree with. But, in the case of the “honor” killings I took a position against in the blog on which you commented, I have no trouble saying, without fear of self-contradiction or inconsistency, whatsoever, that I completely condemn and, yes, completely, even passionately, disrespect them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Not bad article, but I really miss that you didn't express your opinion, but ok you just have different approach

Anonymous said...

Sorry for off topic, but 2012 is close, is this really matter?

Pete Pearlman said...

Either that or Anti-matter; you decide.

Anonymous said...

I usually don’t post in Blogs but your blog forced me to, amazing work.. beautiful …